I’m often asked by aspiring Glamour Models how they can become a successful Glamour Model. Like any modelling industry it is dependent on a few key factors;
* Good looks (of course)
* A good body
* An ability to pose confidently in front of the camera
* A professionally shot portfolio (absolutely essential)
* An established Glamour Model Agent
* And maybe a bit of luck too (there’s a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time!)
Let’s have a look at each of these points in a bit more detail:
* Good looks – Ok, I know this is an obvious one but the modelling world is a shallow industry. It’s tough and it’s not fair, but unfortunately it’s the way it is.
* A good body – Whether you want to be a Glamour Model or a Fashion Model, you do need to look after yourself and be trim and toned. In Glamour Modelling, curves are very much an asset. Having said that, I modelled for 2 years with a small 34B bra size. I was often tempted to have implants, as lot’s of models around me all seemed to be doing it . But I never gave in. Natural boobs are beautiful and contrary to popular belief, men LOVE them!
* An ability to pose confidently in front of the camera – See my last post!
* A professionally shot portfolio – If you want to be a Glamour Model, you have to have a professional portfolio. No ifs or buts. Glamour Model Agents will not accept photos you have taken of yourself with your mobile phone or your digital camera. Nor will they accept photos your boyfriend has taken of you in your bedroom etc. Agents of course can spot potential talent, but they need to see what you look like and how you pose in a professional shoot. In short, they want to see you at your best and home made, amateur photographs won’t do this for you. Don’t get a portfolio done by some old pervert, who just wants dirty photos of you for their ‘private collection’. A decent, professional photography studio doesn’t do ‘TFP’ (Time for Prints – or free photos). Professional photographers charge for their photos because they are good at what they do and it’s their job.
* An established Glamour Model Agent – Agents are the holy grail of the Modelling world. They have contacts with photographers, magazines, TV companies etc. They can get you work. An Agent works on your behalf and it’s in their best interests to get work for you. DO NOT, EVER pay any money to a Model Agency. Genuine Model Agencies don’t ask for money up front. They earn their money by getting you work and taking their commission from that. If a Model Agency asks you to pay to register to be on their books, walk away.. no run!!! It’s a scam and they won’t get you any work. They’ll take your money and laugh all the way to the bank.
* And maybe a bit of luck too – ‘You’ve got to be in it to win it’. No-one is going to knock on your door and offer you a modelling contract. You have to get out there and make it happen. You never know, while you’re out there trying to get noticed, you might be in the right place at the right time…